Always be cautious when working around chemicals as there are dangers that could exist, and following chemical safety tips and rules, makes using chemicals much safer. It is also important to always remember to be cautious when you are working with chemicals and products containing them.
Corrosive chemicals have a variety of uses, including making new chemicals and products. However, they can cause chemical burns to the eyes and skin, with a possibility of disfigurement, blindness and even death.
Workers that use chemicals in their jobs must use the proper personal protective equipment like, a protective smock, eye protection and chemical-resistant gloves to protect themselves from a chemical splash when pouring from or filling containers and when transporting chemicals.
- Minimize activities with open containers, and establish safe work practices to prevent splashes or release of chemicals.
- Make sure the emergency eyewash and shower is immediately accessible and can be activated in one second or less.
- Secure lids prior to transporting chemicals.
- Assess all Personal Protective Equipment to ensure proper selection and use for the type of job.
- Use chemical-splash goggles and a face shield instead of safety glasses.