Low back or shoulder strains are the most common causes of workplace injuries. Lifting is the most frequent cause of these injuries, especially when the lifting is heavy, frequently repeated or is done in an awkward position (twisting, reaching up or bending down).
Tips to Avoid Strain:
- Think twice, lift once. Think about lifting the object then lift it with your body.
- Use a lifting device whenever possible.
- Push if you can, don’t pull. It’s safer as it allows you to use your body weight more effectively
- When pushing keep the load light enough that it doesn’t take too much force to move and low enough that you can see over it. Push with your whole body, not just your arms.
- Carry items close to your body and make sure you can see where you are going.