Bending, kneeling and squatting are all postures that are hard on the knees. Overuse injuries, those that develop over time as a result of repeated actions or wear and tear, are common and workers need to be aware of the risk and take steps to protect the knees. If possible, raise work up off the floor to eliminate kneeling and squatting or use a rolling stool instead of crawling. Wearing knee pads protect and distribute pressure across a broader portion of the knee and are extremely important when working on hard or cold surfaces or where there may be sharp items or edges.
Tips to Avoid Strain:
- To protect your knees from injury, wear knee pads.
- Use tool extensions for high and low work.
- Use power tools to make repetitive tasks easier and faster.
- Change posture as frequently as your work allows.
- If possible, sit on a low stool instead of kneeling or squatting.
- Take frequent breaks when possible.