Health Benefit Options for Children Nearing Age 26

Adult Children

If your child is nearing age 26 and losing his/her coverage under your own plan here at the college, is COBRA the only alternative if they don’t qualify for coverage at their own employer?

COBRA is extended through PEBB to eligible family members when they lose coverage under your plan. It allows the family member to continue the coverage they had for a while (usually up to 18 months), but COBRA is expensive, with rates generally starting at over $500 per month for a single subscriber.

You may want to compare rates for plans offered through the Washington Health Plan Finder. The Washington Health Plan Finder is the online health insurance marketplace in the state of Washington, created in accordance with the Affordable Care Act. The marketplace operates a web site and a call center (1-855-923-4633) and is a resource for individuals and families to enroll in health insurance plans, and also provides eligible enrollees with access to tax credits. Although the standard Open Enrollment period has closed, losing coverage of your own may qualify you for a “Special Open Enrollment Event” if you act within a certain time period, usually 60 days.

Be healthy!


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s