Crushed hands and arms, severed fingers, and blindness are just a few of the long horrifying list of possible machinery-related injuries.
Any machine part, function or process that may cause injury must be safeguarded to ensure you are protecting yourself while operating machinery. Accidents usually result from a combination of factors that include both hazardous machine conditions and careless human actions. Safety procedures like Lockout/Tagout are critical for the service and maintenance of machinery or electrical systems where employees or students could be hurt by the unexpected start up, or energization, of the equipment.
- Recognize the hazards by identifying all actions and hazards associated with each piece of equipment or machinery.
- Ensure proper use of safeguarding and reinforce the program by training, education and enforcement.
- Develop an effective Lockout/Tagout program to ensure that machines and circuits are properly shut off or de-energized to prevent unexpected startups.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing and jewelry and keep long hair tied back.
- Use proper methods of safeguarding.