Green River’s Accreditation visit is coming in less than one year! Over the coming months, we’ll say more about how you can help Green River College to shine during our visit. For now, let us introduce you to what accreditation means and how it includes you!
Key Facts to Know:
- Date of Accreditation Visit–April 29-May 1, 2020
- Accreditation is not a separate thing. Accreditation is a part of who we are in our responsibility and accountability to ourselves, our students and community.
- Accreditation Steering Committee members in your areas will connect with you and your departments/divisions as we prepare.
What is accreditation?
Accreditation “is a process of recognizing educational institutions for performance, integrity, and quality that entitles them to the confidence of the educational community and the public” (NWCCU “What is Regional Accreditation?”).
Accreditation checks for:
- Intentions – Has Green River defined a consistent mission and core themes?
- Capacity – Does Green River have the resources it needs to accomplish its mission and core themes?
- Achievement – Is Green River accomplishing its mission and core themes?
- Sustainability – Does Green River have the resources, staff, etc. it needs to continue to meet its mission and core themes?
Why is accreditation important?
- Identifies areas of success and areas for growth for further planning and development
- Makes the college eligible for Federal grants, loans or other federal funds
- Makes Federal Financial Aid available to students
- Allows for students to sit for state licensure examinations in professional fields
- Allows students to transfer of credits between institutions & ensures quality of those credits
How are YOU a part of accreditation?
How can YOU help tell our story?
- Truly understand the mission and core themes of Green River College.
- Do you know the mission and core themes of the college?
- How does your work support the mission and core themes of the college?
- Be prepared to answer accreditors’ questions about the above as well as the following topics/questions:
- Why do we do what we do?
- How does it support the college’s mission?