Health Benefit Options for Children Nearing Age 26

Adult Children

If your child is nearing age 26 and losing his/her coverage under your own plan here at the college, is COBRA the only alternative if they don’t qualify for coverage at their own employer?

COBRA is extended through PEBB to eligible family members when they lose coverage under your plan. It allows the family member to continue the coverage they had for a while (usually up to 18 months), but COBRA is expensive, with rates generally starting at over $500 per month for a single subscriber.

You may want to compare rates for plans offered through the Washington Health Plan Finder. The Washington Health Plan Finder is the online health insurance marketplace in the state of Washington, created in accordance with the Affordable Care Act. The marketplace operates a web site and a call center (1-855-923-4633) and is a resource for individuals and families to enroll in health insurance plans, and also provides eligible enrollees with access to tax credits. Although the standard Open Enrollment period has closed, losing coverage of your own may qualify you for a “Special Open Enrollment Event” if you act within a certain time period, usually 60 days.

Be healthy!

Thinking About Retirement?

Fun Retirement

As an eligible retiree, you can apply for medical and dental coverage through the PEBB Program for yourself and your eligible family members.  You have 60 days to complete an application to enroll in or defer PEBB retiree coverage after your employment or COBRA coverage ends. How do you enroll? Follow this three-step timeline:

Step 1: Contact the Social Security Administration

About ninety days before your active employment or COBRA ends, contact the Nearest Social Security Office to enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B if you or any family members you wish to cover are entitled to Medicare.

Step 2: Request a retiree enrollment packet

Sixty days before your active employment or COBRA ends request a retiree enrollment packet. Call 1-800-200-1004 or 360-725-0440 in the Olympia area. PEBB will send you a Retiree Enrollment Guide including applications and information).

Step 3: Return you completed retiree application

Within sixty days after your active employment or COBRA coverage ends return your completed retiree application and any applicable forms to the PEBB Program at P.O. Box 42684, Olympia, WA 98504-2684.

If you or any covered dependents are entitled to Medicare, you must enroll in Part A and Part B and remain enrolled to keep your PEBB coverage.